Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Congratulations, you have a baby boy! Err, What's that smell?

Delivery was arranged and BART arrived as planned 6 days after purchase on August 30th, intact and working - just. "She's a bit difficult to start and keeps bogging down" So said the delivery driver.  He managed to persuade BART to climb the small slope to our driveway and turned him off.  A visual inspection and all seemed ok, paper worked signed and handed over.



We chatted to the driver for a bit and after he left I took a closer look at BART and noted a strong smell of petrol.  Hmmm, I’d not noticed that before at Junction59...I promptly removed the air filter and pipe work to see what was what.  A pool of petrol was slowly expanding underneath the carb. and every time the throttle was opened it got a bit larger.  The accelerator diaphragm was leaking, luckily I had an old but intact spare to hand, 5 mins later and the leak was cured.


At the same time I thought it best to check the carb over thoroughly...I found the carb was loose on its studs, the carb hadn't been tightened down properly after Junction59 had replaced the head gasket, an air filter stud was missing and the rubber gasket for the air filter housing hadn't been installed correctly!  Good grief.

I decided to go the whole hog and took the top plate assembly off the carb.  I adjusted the float level, they where set too low by ~2mm and removed all the jets and cleaned out all the fuel galleries.  There was quite a lot of debris in the float chamber also seen when I replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm.



I bolted everything back together and adjusted the choke so it operated correctly and fired the engine up.  BART coughed into life and ran nicely at a fast idle on the choke.  After he'd warmed up a bit I noted the idle was a little rough, I checked the ignition timing and found it a few degrees out but the dwell angle (points gap) was OK.  With the timing set correctly I adjusted the mixture as it was clearly set too lean, this picked the revs up and the engine smoothed out.  Phew!

Unable to resist a quick test drive 'round the block I found the engine now pulled correctly and wanted to rev.  It's a lovely little engine and comes on song around 4000 RPM especially when the secondary choke kicks in, its no power house but it sounds lovely.  Even with the blowing exhaust!

No comments:

Post a Comment