Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Learn to leave things alone...

I broke BART. Curiosity got the better of me, I was reading some of the X19 forums about re-jetting the carburettor if any modifications had been done to the engine. BART has a custom high flow exhaust fitted and even though he runs a lot better than when I first drove him I had a suspicion he was running a bit too lean.

 I ordered up some larger main jets for the carb and a new idle screw and seal as I also have a suspicion the seal is damaged as the idle is not consistent. I also ordered a replacement air filter stud and nuts at the same time. So while waiting for these bits to arrive I thought it a good idea to check the plugs and have another go at setting the choke correctly.

First off though I removed the idle mixture screw, it was tight to unscrew and when it did free itself from the carb I found the seal had totally disintegrated. I then removed the plugs in turn and found them white in colour indicating a lean mixture, hmmm, going well so far, my hunches confirmed. The plugs where also not gapped correctly so I reset them to .7mm Ok now for that choke...



I re-adjusted the fast idle cam screw and took the slack out of the cable. I put a little grease on the cable & cam and operated the choke lever in the car a few times...ping, the sound of something snapping...no more choke movement. Blast!

Googling turned up no OEM cables available only some general fit choke cables of the right length. I'm hoping I only need the inner cable and I can re-use the outer but my main issue is how to gain access to the choke lever in the car as it is attached to the handbrake lever...which in turn is covered by the interior carpet. A call for help on the X19 owners forum revealed that I’ll need to remove the seats, seat belts and sill trim capping before I can peel the carpet back to get at the handbrake. Oh The Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment