Monday, September 30, 2019

A tale of Belts, Buckles and Boots

1) Boots

The original eBay advert for BART said all 'rust cut out and made good'.  That dear readers has been proven as untrue.  We've already seen that BART hides some rust in the N/S front inner wing but he also has some in the boot, quite a lot in fact.  The boot has a false floor with a fire retardant insulation sandwiched between it and the boot floor itself.  Lifting this false floor revealed the following:






Seems all x1/9s came with this factory fitted option for free as I'm not the only one to have discovered rust in this area.  I've removed as much of the loose rust as possible and treated the floor with a rust treatment from Dinatrol.  The floor will need replacing at some point but it will have to wait.  Replacement boot panels are available from Eurosport for £100.

2) Buckles & Belts

One thing that has been bugging me (only the one!) is BART has odd seat belts.  The passenger side has a Klippan belt with trigger style buckle and the drivers side has been replaced with a UK Securon belt and buckle.  The Klippan are original fitment and it would be nice to buy replacements but after an email conversation with Kippan they can't supply the same style with a short 22cm anchor point only a much longer one:



As I have no means of shortening the anchor and remaking a safe cold weld to the anchor point eye I decided to fit a set of Securon UK belts.  Whilst not original I think I put my safety and that of any passenger before that of style and originality.


No comments:

Post a Comment