Monday, September 27, 2021

The Prep - UK Owners Club National Event

A few weeks ago (10th-12th September'21) we attended the UK Owners Club National event in the very beautiful Brecon Beacons.  It was a fantastic few days of great driving,  food and chat but more of that later...to get BART and our selves to the event I needed to do some prep.

First off I changed the oil and filter as it was due anyhow.  I also wanted to sort out an issue with the front brakes; they weren't inspiring confidence in me and I had started to note a slight steering wobble under hard braking which I suspected was a warped disk.  I had some new spare front disks and pads so swapped them over making sure everything was clean and the calliper sliders greased with hi-temp goo.

That sorted the brakes, the pedal was firmer and stopping power increased.  Next was to do a few rust treatment and prevention jobs as well...it's Wales after all and sure to rain!

I purchased a food syringe and tube off eBay the idea being to inject Waxoyl into parts of BART I couldn't directly access.


The areas to tackle where the leading edge of the Frunk, it had started to show signs of rust, the leading edge of the engine cover, the R/H side of the engine 'well' under the vent and for peace-of-mind the inside of the A pillars.

The A pillars where straight forward, if you remove the Targa front sealing rubber (two screws) it reveals two holes above each sun visor that are large enough to squirt Waxoyl into.

A bit difficult to see but the holes are there!

I diluted the Waxoyl with White Spirit to the consistency of Tomato Soup and injected about 100ml into each pillar and along the windscreen top.

Next I tackled the engine cover and 'well'.  This was best done by removing the engine cover.


I treated the rust then squirted diluted Waxoyl into the cavity sloshing it about and then left the cover overnight to dry out.  The R/H engine side 'well' was tackled next.  I hadn't realised this was in a poor state, some previous welding and repair had been done before but cosmetically it didn't look great and really needs to be done again.

I removed all the loose rust I could and vacuumed the area then I treated everything with a rust killer and preventer.  When that was dry I painted Hammerite over the area and after drying Waxoyled the lot!



The rear cover mounting screw seemed to have been cross threaded at some point but some quick work with a tap fixed the thread so it was all good.  The last bit to do was the Frunk leading edge which had stated to split on the inside.  Again I treated the area with the rust killer and then applied Waxyol directly and also injected some into the Frunk box cavity frame and U channel.  Hopefully that should be good enough to stop the evil rust from coming back!

Rust just starting to rear its ugly head on the Frunk lid.

Next:  The event itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment